April 3, 2012

How-to: revive an APC-Smart UPS 1400

Some days ago a friend of mine gave me his old APC – Smart UPS 1400 because the batteries after 5 years on-line were gone and he preferred to buy a new (but cheaper) UPS instead of replacing them.

I immediatly opened it and found that it uses two sealed batteries with 7,5 amp-hour capacity and 12v nominal voltage connected in serie to obtain a final nominal voltage of 24v.

I checked the price for the right APC replacement batteries but it was far too expensive so I decided to do a mod using two solar energy system batteries I had from my house in Italy.

The two solar energy system batteries were brand new and are rated 55 amp-hour capacity and 12v nominal voltage each one so they give 24v / 55ah when connected in serie.

These are some pictures of my “dirty work”:





I did some tests and now my system (NAS, firewall and gigabit switch) can work uninterrupted for more than 3 hours in case of black out!

Not bad for an old but revived UPS!

Cheers!