June 3, 2012

Debian on a 256 MB flash memory? Yes, we can!

While I'm still trying Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon on my notebook I've started a new project: configure a full NAS operating system based on Debian within 256 MB to store on the internal flash memory of my Acer EasyStore H340.

The starting point is a very stripped down Debian distribution called Voyage Linux (here the link!) able to run on low-end platforms (486, Geode, Alix, etc.). The typical installation (both 386 and AMD64 versions) requires less than 128 MB (120 to be honest) and comes with 3.2 kernel, syslinux, atftpd nfs-kernel-server, pxe-server, bzip2, sg3-utils and minicom.

I decided to keep (and use) nfs but purge the remaining packages (I don't use...) so I gained more free space. Than I installed mdadm, hddtemp, smartmontools, hdparm, jfs-tools and configured the 4 disks in Raid 5 with jfs file system.

After an update (it uses the Debian Squeeze repositories and a Voyage one) the total installation is using 130 MB... not bad!

Ah... I forgot! Voyage was created to run on embedded machines with compact flash so after the boot the file system is kept in read only mode.

See you!