February 20, 2014

EXT4 for large files...

Hello folks!

I love xfs because it can manage very well big file systems (24 Tbyte or more) without loss on speed or file handling but now I'm testing ext4 on a precise situation: manage files above 4 Gbyte.

If you format a partition with mkfs.ext4 with the default options it will create an inode every 16K which is good if you have a lot of small files but it is useless if you store very large files so I googled around how to optimize and I found the creation flags largefile and largefile4.


With the largefile flag the file system will have one inode each megabyte while with the largefile4 flag will have one inode each 4 megabyte which simply means to save about 2 Gbyte every 100 Gbyte of space.
The only drawback I found is the minor number of files you can store.



I'm testing ext4 with the largefile4 flag on a file system of about 16 TB (raid 5 of five 4 TB disks on a HP N54L microserver) to see  how it performs compared to my beloved xfs.

I'll keep you updated!